Dresden Files Play by Post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dresden Files Play by Post

This forum is for a Play by Post game of Dresden Files, set in the Washington, D.C. area.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mayhawk
Admin

An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) Empty
PostSubject: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 pm

There had been no return address on the mysterious invitation that came to Ben in the mail a few days ago summoning him to a gala benefit event at the Kennedy Center. It is truly a black tie event as promised, with a long line of limos out pulling up in front of the Center bringing with them many of Washington’s elite in attendance – socialites, business leaders, and politicians on both the local and national levels.

After the symphony attendees were treated to an opulent reception with refreshments in the Center’s cavernous lobby with it’s gigantic chandeliers and enormous windows stretching practically from the floor all the way to the ceiling looking out on the Patomac.

While hobnobbing Ben catches the eye of a tall man with long, flowing dark brown hair combed back from the chiseled features of his face. By far his most striking feature is the golden hue of his eyes that glow and flicker with a mysterious and volatile inner fire. Anyone foolish enough to glance into them sees that and little more, as most are very quick to glance away. He is dressed in an immaculate black suite, shirt, and shoes, and as the man walks towards him Ben can see the cane he leans on is ebony with a white-gold dragon’s claw gripping an enormous orb-shaped blood red ruby at the top. On his finger he wears with an amber topaz stone that glows like petrified fire, wrapped in a serpent’s scaled coils.

“Mister Meadows-Ferro, isn’t it?” the tall, dark man says in a deep voice that cuts through the cacophony of voices in the room despite his quiet tone. “I saw you on the Mall a few weeks ago, “ he explains, “The day you helped that poor delirious man out of his little bind.” He pauses a moment letting the implications sink in. This man knows of Benjamin’s glamour abilities. “Follow me,” he beckons with a slight smile.

The man with the fiery golden eyes leads Benjamin out onto the balcony overlooking the river. The lights of Arlington on the far bank reflecting in the black water. “Forgive me, I have not introduced myself,” mysterious dark-clothed man says when they are alone, extending his hand to Benjamin. “I am known as Phaeton, keeper of the neutral grounds, which in this city encompasses all major government offices and the Smithsonian. I keep an especially close eye on what happens around the White House, Congress and the Supreme Court, so naturally I noticed your little use of magic at the Washington monument. Don’t worry though, you did the right thing, disguising that young sorcerer’s blunder from being witnessed by passers by. Keeping magic users from abusing the energies of the Monument, which is likened to a paranormal lighting rod, has become a full time job and I am glad of the help.

“In fact,” he continues, “The work is becoming more than I can handle on my own. My goal at present is to equip others to police themselves and those around them, to make sure that none of the supernatural entities in this city abuse their power to attempt to control the national government. I hope that I could count you as an ally in this work.”

Last edited by Mayhawk on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bjornaer

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 7:33 am

Ben was surprised by the offer, but with a glamour hiding your true facial expression, anyone can pull off a poker face.

Phaeton certainly knew that the sole purpose of his presence in Washington was meddling with the government decision process. He was just one in a long line of lobbyists from Hershey’s to Greenpeace. Heck, sometimes he felt that politicking was the only reason they had turned this place from a swamp into a capital. So why would Phaeton ask the fox to guide the hens?

He doubted that any serious player in the supernatural community had any doubt whom he represented. He even shared the old dragon’s name, something he was rather proud of: Usually that name made people wary around him, made it easier for him to convince, bully or trick supernatural beings.

So he decided to play along for now: “I think we agree that nobody in their right mind would want the Red Court or the White Council to run this town.”, Ferro agreed amiably. With a shudder, he smoothed his elegant Tux. “It wouldn’t be good for business.”

Tapping a finger to his lips he added: “Business, by the way, seems to be the key word here. I can certainly make some of my talents available to you, for the right price. Everything in this town has a price, you see, and it giving away freebies might damage my reputation as a businessman. Before I can agree to anything though, I’ll have to know what is expected of me, of course.”
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm

The mysterious gentleman with the golden eyes smiles sagely and nods, “My thoughts exactly, we do not want the vampires or wizards thinking they can use their powers to twist this country as they see fit. Neither do we want too much power the hands of the Faerie Courts, cults of the Old Gods,” or, he adds pointedly, “a dragon. Do not think I don’t realize why you are here, Mr. Meadows-Ferro,” he says with special emphasis on the last part of Ben’s name. “I am here to tell you that I expect you to play by the rules, meaning you follow the Unseelie Accords, acknowledge the neutral grounds, and when you do tamper directly in politics leave any supernatural powers you might have out of it.

“I hope that I did not give you a false impression, I am not offering you a job, I am sure you have enough on your plate already, I am simply offering you the opportunity to ally yourself to me. You are obviously quite capable at what you do, I would rather that we were friends as opposed to enemies. Now that you know what is expected of you I trust it will not be any difficulty for you to meet those expectations. My only request,” he adds with emphasis on the word only, making it clear that the previous expectations were not to be taken as requests, but as something more binding, “My only request is that you also report to me any others who may not be meeting these expectations, and for that you will be rewarded. If you are willing to assist me in my work I will assist you in yours.”
Back to top Go down
bjornaer

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm

The dragon's ambassador made his face look confused: "It seems to me that you live in a world of black and white. But ah," he inhales as if he was savoring a good wine, "there are so many shades of grey. Let me give you an example: The money a White Court Vampire uses to bribe a politician was earned at a seedy strip club. All clean so far. But imagine some of the dancers there are emotional slaves of the vampires running the club. Grey? What if the girls are untouched by the vamps but a local gang leader controlling the pimps has been manipulated?"

Ferro's smiles becomes apologetical. " I must admit I do not find these categories particularly useful. That said, rest assured that I would not hesitate to inform you of any major threats to the status quo. I hate it when senators get replaced or suddenly become all unreliable. Bad for business.

Remember, I'm just a representative,"
he spreads his arms in a gesture of innocence, "and they say: don't kill the messenger. People would miss my parties and nobody wants me replaced by someone more competent, least of all, you.

I think this is when you produce your card so I can call you when I want to watch you ruin one of those evil supernatural masterplans. My number's in the phonebook.

Helping you will be fun, fun, fun."

Half-mockingly, Ferro adds a small bow .

Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Phaeton passively attempting to discover Ben's Veil using Lore.

Last edited by Mayhawk on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 pm

The member 'Mayhawk' has done the following action : Die Roll

'Fudge' :
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
Back to top Go down
https://dresden.forumotion.com
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Ben resisting Pheaton's Lore with Deceit

Last edited by Mayhawk on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 pm

The member 'Mayhawk' has done the following action : Die Roll

'Fudge' :
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
Back to top Go down
https://dresden.forumotion.com
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 12:03 am

Phaeton patiently listens as Ben explains to him the vagaries of magical interference, leaning on the ruby top of his dragon clawed cane, and nods in quiet agreement. “I think you understand my meaning,” he replies. “the kind of interference I speak of is every bit as a black and white as the Unseelie Accords themselves. If the line you are not to cross is difficult for you to see I advise you to stay as far from where it might be as possible.”

The tall, ageless man fixes his golden eyes on Ben and studies him as though looking right through him, “Here is what I find interesting about you,” he adds, “you could have made yourself look any way you wanted and you chose a short, fat, aging Italian man’s visage. For a man like you everything is intentional, so I am curious as to what the intent here is.

“Whatever your thinking, you clearly go about things intelligently, so I am sure you will find away to accomplish what the one who sent you set out to do without crossing the line, and that we will find ways for our goals to align rather than clash.”
Back to top Go down
bjornaer

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm

"I understand that you are a complication. I'm a firm believer in taking the easy road, don't worry", Ferro says making a pacifying gesture.

"As for the glamour: that is easy: I chose it because it's something that works with people. I've tried different things before choosing this. Many humans have difficulties relating to their fellow humans. If someone looks like a pretty woman, people act like you're Barbie and flirting with women is a real pain. If you look young, people get all paternal. If you're black," for a moment his voice takes on an African American accent, "trust me maan, people treat ya like a nigger, bro, ya have no ardea what discrimination is like in this country."

"This is a work of art, a statement of wealth, power and stupifying decadence. Politicians love decadence in a lobbyist - it give them the feeling that they can see right to the core of a man."

Last edited by bjornaer on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 pm

“In some instances yes, I may be a complication to your schemes,” he says with a smile that shows off his perfect pearly white teeth. “But, as I said we needn’t be at odds,” he hands him his card, which is a mat black with glossy gold lettering, “contact me if you have anything to report, or if there is anything I can do for you. You are new here, after all, and I am very well connected.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)   An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Invitation for Ben Ferro (ATTN Ben)
Page 1 of 1