Dresden Files Play by Post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dresden Files Play by Post

This forum is for a Play by Post game of Dresden Files, set in the Washington, D.C. area.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Switch (ATTN Dwight)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mayhawk
Admin

The Switch (ATTN Dwight) Empty
PostSubject: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm

As Dwight sits alone on his long back porch sipping his mug of honey mead he notices a large bird circling steadily closer in the air above. He cannot make out what type of bird it is, though it is perhaps the size of a small falcon. Surprisingly the bird swoops down and perches on Dwight’s porch railing. The bird reaches up with its wings and pushes back the feathery mask and hood that had appeared to be its head. Beneath the hood is a small angular face with large luminous eyes and gold stripes across his cream-colored skin.

The sprite throws back it’s feather cloak and bows profusely to Dwight as it says, “Hail, lord and master of this honeyed freehold. Rise and greet your most honored guest, for Duke Bran, the Huntsman approaches.”

Looking up at that moment Dwight sees the graceful shining form of the sidhe lord as he approaches across the yard, stalking with smooth, feline movements like a lion prowling across the Savannah in search of it’s next great hunt. Fitted out with the furs, pelts and horns of his vanquished monstrous prey the Huntsman cuts a fierce and regal picture.

“Well met, good sir,” the sidhe lord exclaims in strong, jovial voice that resonates with power. “I come to proffer a trade of services to you. My people have fashioned this turnip,” at this he holds up the aforementioned vegetable, “which has stored up in it the sunlight of a hundred noonday suns; enough light to render helpless any vampire within a city’s block upon it’s detonation. It is yours. All I ask in return is that you wear my mantle and my visage upon you for a whole day’s time, sunrise to sunrise, whilst I wear yours.”
Back to top Go down
Melkain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Dwight stands there comepletely struck by the enormity of what is being offered... The Huntsman's mantle? That comes with the Huntsman's power, which is....not inconsiderable.
"Lord Bran, to what purpose would you be willing to grant to me such power? For I am sure you would not want me to abuse your power and station any more than I would want you to abuse mine, little though it may be when compared to yours. And to offer me such a treasure such as that," he points at the turnip "I feel as there should be a catch...."
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:58 pm

The Huntsman nods his antlered head approvingly at Dwight’s mention of a catch, “You are shrewd to ask such a question, clearly you have learned from your prior dealings with the Good Folk. Of course there is a catch. As any bargain has an upside and a downside. You must give in order to get. The catch is that you will be held responsible for the decisions you make whilst standing in my station. With my power comes the burden of wielding it for the good of my domain and the vassals who call me their lord.”

The regal face of the sidhe lord becomes very grave, “You will not abuse the power of my mantle, and neither shall I abuse yours, however small it may be, for if one of us uses this privilege to benefit himself to the other’s detriment shall have to make full retribution to the other’s satisfaction, eye for eye.”

“On more thing,” he adds, “Neither of us shall speak of this. You are sworn to strict secrecy regarding this deal.” He extends a hand with long, dexterous fingers to Dwight, “So, what say you?”
Back to top Go down
Melkain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 am

Dwight thinks for a moment, and then grins a little, "Yes, it would be my honor, Lord. But I have one additional request. I know many of your kind buy my honey, and occasionally my mead, however I would love to have a contract for supplying your Tavern with mead. A contract that would be exclusive to you for one year." Dwight's eyes twinkle, and his grin becomes a huge smile, "I can't help it my lord, a businessman always needs to look after growing his business."

((I'd like to tag my high concept of Were-Bear Entrepreneur, to have him agree, but the agreement will be for more mead than I can make over the course of the year. - fate point, pretty please?))
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 pm

The sidhe lord smiles knowingly at Dwight and his eyes burn with a eerie green light. He chuckles, “Hah, of course; always the man of business. As an entrepreneur myself I can certainly respect that. There is one difficulty: my current contracts are with suppliers from the Summerlands of Virginia. My people may become jealous if I were to take business from them to give it to an outsider. In order to do this you must swear allegiance to the Summer Court. That would mean you swear to identify as one of us, abide by our decrees, celebrate our festivals, do business with us, take no action that would harm us or benefit our enemies, and aid us in our time of need. In return, we of course, would do the same for you. Just to be clear this would place you under my government, but would not make you my servant, you would retain all of your freedom and autonomy, except in the areas mentioned above. Would you be able to accept that? If so, I shall try some of your mead.”

((Should Dwight accept the deal he gets a Fate Point. If not the Huntsman will still agree to take a case of his mead and see how his patrons like it.))
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 5:36 pm

The Huntsman takes a long, two edged dagger from his side and slices across his palm, opening a shallow cut. Dark red blood quickly wells from the gash and a stray drop causes wild roses and honeysuckle to immediately bloom on the small patch ground where it falls. He motions for Dwight to hold out his hand and gives him a similar wound, then grabs his hand and shakes it solemnly, mingling their blood.

As elements of the Huntsman’s blood enter his veins Dwight can feel the vibrancy of the deepest primordial wild woods surging through him. The songs of a thousand birds ring in his ears as well as the calls of the wolf, the elk, the raccoon, and myriad woodland creatures. He feels strong and vigorous, like a century’s old oak tree awakening yet again to the spring as sap begins flowing through it once more and awakening it’s branches to produce new leaves. The smell of crumpled leaves and the scent of fresh wood fills his nostrils. Suddenly he is keenly aware of the presence of animals around him. He somehow knows the exact location of every squirrel, and rabbit, every wren and crow, every living creature within several leagues.

Then Dwight becomes aware of the fact that he is no longer looking at the Huntsman standing before him but at himself. His own gruff features and burning eyes gaze back him, while looking down at his own body he sees the Huntsman’s fine leather and fur garments.

He hears his own voice saying, “You must return to your domain now, Lord Huntsman.”
Back to top Go down
Melkain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Smiling, Dwight looks at himself "When this is all over we shall discuss the joining of these lands to that of Summer's. For now I will return to my own domain." He looks around hesitantly, not really sure where to go. Shrugging, he decides that it would best to start with The Huntsman's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria. As he starts to walk away he turns and looks at himself again "you wouldn't happen to have a bit of mead I could take with me so I can see if it would be of interest to the patrons of my tavern? Perhaps you have a crate in the shed over there with several bottles that would be ready to go?"
Back to top Go down
Mayhawk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm

The Huntsman, in Dwight’s body, nods at Dwight, “Of course, Milord, remind me again where I put it?”

The Huntsman follows Dwight to his storage cellar and lifts a crate of honey mead, carrying it back out to the front lawn, where he hands it over to Dwight. “Now raise your hand and call upon the Wyrd.”

Dwight follows the instructions and a breeze begins to pick up around him, leaves and flower petals, even a few stray feathers dance around him in the swirling air current as it picks up speed and envelops Dwight. Suddenly he feels himself caught up off his feet be an especially strong gust, and when his feet touch the ground it is a trod of the Nevernever. He is in a field on a dirt path which is bordered on either side by rows of round stones. The sky is the golden color of wheat shimmering in the harvest wind.

Walking the trod over hill and dale eventually brings Dwight to a vast river with a wizened elven ferryman in a long boat who bows low and agrees to take Dwight wherever he should desire. Dwight then finds himself being ferried over the wide waters to the mouth of a creek on the other side of the river where another path leads up from the water into the woods and curves around a steep embankment. Climbing to the top of the embankment Dwight comes to an enormous structure that is part rock formation, part woodland mansion. It is several stories high and the upper levels made of intricately carved wood, perched atop the boulders that rise out of the earth to form the lower level. The walls in many places are covered in vines. The style of architecture is more reminiscent of Rivendell than anything on earth. Stone steps lead to the main entrance which is formed by a crevice in the stone, and framed by wooden pillars that rise from the earth like trees and branch out to form the archway above the door.

When Dwight puts his hand to the massive oak door it swings aside obediently leading into an enormous stone great hall with rays of afternoon sunlight falling in through windows placed high in the walls. Ancient tapestries and hunting trophies are hung on walls, which are as overgrown with moss and vines inside as they were on the exterior. There is a bubbling fountain in the middle of the room that flows down across the cracked stone floor out another doorway, where it becomes a small waterfall trickling down the steep rocky embankment to the creek far below. On the far wall there is an enormous fireplace big enough for a tall man to walk around in, and filled with a roaring orange balefire. In front of the fire sits an enormous velvety armchair with a high back decorated with horns, antlers and pelts of fur, while thick fur rugs are strewn about invitingly. Above the fireplace mantle are numerous heads of strange and wonderful beasts, with what look like a gigantic wooly mammoth with antlers, a behemoth, serving as the centerpiece.

Dwight finds two doorways on either side of the fireplace with one leading to a corridor with other doors offering access to the rest of the lodge. The second door he tries leads out into a wine cellar. It is dark and musty with barrels and rows of shelves stocked with all types of wine and other strong drinks. He can hear va cacophony of voices and laughter leading filtering down through the rafters and wooden ceiling above his head. Turning around Dwight sees only a stone wall, but if he touches it, it ripples like an image reflected in water. Walking around the room he comes a doorway and steps leading up into the backroom of the Huntsman’s Tavern.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Switch (ATTN Dwight)   The Switch (ATTN Dwight) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Switch (ATTN Dwight)
Page 1 of 1